LET’S LEARN ENGLISH: WORKPLACE COMMUNICATION ONLINE:
An 8-week course which aims to improve your usage of English in the workplace and to build your communication skills.
The first four weeks of the course focuses on the importance of Clear Thinking in the workplace – in verbal, non-verbal, and written communication forms:
“Clear thinking is a vital part of effective communication – in business, education, and all forms of intellectual life. It is known as a ‘core skill’, and will enable you to think, speak, and write in an effective manner”.
Clear thinking means the ability to –
- express your own ideas simply
- produce valid arguments
- think in a logical manner
- inspect and analyse ideas critically
By working with a wide range of examples, students are able to fine-tune this ‘core skill’, building confidence in their ability to communicate effectively in English, and reducing cultural, hierarchical and language tensions in the workplace environment.
The next four weeks focuses in more detail on the practical applications of Clear Thinking in the four skills areas of English: reading, listening, writing and speaking. Texts (reports, emails, articles and any other appropriate sources), audios, videos and images will be provided for analysis, discussion and interpretation. Students will be encouraged to provide their own material, in which case, the utmost care will be taken to remove any confidential information.
TWO IMPORTANT NOTES:
- Our Workplace Communication Course requires the student to have at least a high Intermediate level in speaking, reading, writing and listening of English, as well as a basic understanding of grammar. Specific grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation difficulties will, of course, be addressed during the course.
Students who do not fulfill this requirement should consider doing an Intermediate Level General English course before registering for Workplace Communication.
- Students must have access to reliable broadband for their class lessons. Using a smartphone in our virtual classroom is not advisable. Tablets, laptops or desktops provide a much more stable medium.
COURSE STRUCTURE IN BRIEF:
UNDERSTANDING THE PROCESSES OF CLEAR THINKING
(Students will be asked to identify a specific problem they have in their workplace. During the four week module, they will apply the theory they learn to resolving this issue. In the fourth week, they will present this problem, and the process of its resolution, to the class.)
WEEK TWO: Building on strengths to improve weaknesses:
- Working with language and body language
- expressing yourself in general
- opinions and work needs in the workplace
- Putting it together: Project work – students present their individual projects, defining their problem in theoretical terms, and detailing the application of theory acquired in the preceding three weeks to the practical process of problem resolution.
PUTTING IT ALL INTO PRACTICE
- Reading: skimming, scanning, content critique and error-spotting
- Listening: phone skills, listening to instructions, presentations
- Writing: note-taking, producing reports, emails, presentation planning
- Speaking: phone skills, giving instructions, presenting information and ideas
TIME STRUCTURE FOR THE COURSE:
Six hours of study per week, broken down as follows:
- Two 90-minute lessons per week in our virtual classroom
- Weekly virtual class lessons are supported by three hours of work, completed in your own time during that week, via our Learning Management System. This work is compulsory, and must be completed before your next class lesson.
FULL PRICE OF COURSE:
ZAR 4,800.00 for the full course, payable in full before the course commences.
ZAR 2600.00 per module, payable in full before the beginning of each module.